Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! Here is where you'll finding me rambling about a variety of subjects, including my family, vintage, thrifting, Etsy shops I love, and more!





Saturday, September 17, 2011

Soup and Chili Time

The cooler weather is coming! I don't want to think about snow!  I do want to think about makings soups, chili, and stews!


Pyrex Bowls



My favorite soup recipes are one's I just make up as I'm going!  I usually start with diced carrots, onions, celery, and maybe some orange, green, or yellow peppers, sauteed in a bit of olive oil and butter.

Spring Blossom


After those are sauteed I will start adding chicken broth (or vegetable broth if I'm making soup for my vegetarian daughter, Katherine).  I usually add at least one can of diced mexican tomatoes, for an extra kick! I like it a little spicy, so I will also add some red pepper flakes. I usually add some dried italian seasoning too.

Butterprint is one of my favorite Pyrex patterns!


I'll add some cannelini beans (canned), or lentils, for protein (or whatever beans I have on hand).  Soups are great to make because you can add just about anything, and use up things you have.  No need to go out and buy special ingredients!  Add in another can of tomatoes (we love tomatoes!).

I can never resist pink Pyrex!


I also will add some dried pasta, maybe even a bit of rice.  This gives it a bit more substance.  Sometimes I'll add some of my favorite frozen veggies, like green beans, peas, and corn (I can't add too much corn, since my husband is allergic to it).

Often times, towards the end, I will add some cream.  There's just something about that little kick of cream that I love!

So as you see, I just have fun creating a new soup each time!  No rules!  Have fun in the kitchen!

Jen

1 comment:

Outsource said...

Happy Moments expressed well. This would definitely be a memorable shoot of your life, Pictures are neat and shot well.
Awesome Pictures