Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! Here is where you'll finding me rambling about a variety of subjects, including my family, vintage, thrifting, Etsy shops I love, and more!





Monday, April 4, 2011

Rustic Spicy Tomato Soup

You know I love to make soups!  Here's my latest creation!


Saute chopped up white onion in olive oil and butter (can be bigger chunks).

Toss in any of your favorite canned tomatoes.  I added one smaller can of a mexican style chopped tomatoes for spice, a large can of stewed tomatoes (which I broke up a bit), and a smaller can of another type of chopped tomotoes that also had some spice to it.

Add italian seasoning, garlic salt, just a pinch of sugar (test throughout the cooking process to see if it needs a bit more), 1 can of chicken broth, and some salt.  Cook that at medium heat for about 5 minutes and then simmer for at least 15 minutes. 

I think took about a 1/4 of that mixture and put it in the blender with some milk (about 3/4"),you can also used cream, I just didn't have any so I used milk.  Blend that for just a quick few seconds, add it back to the mixture.  Again, take out 1/4 of the mixture, and blend another for seconds, adding a bit more of the milk or cream.  Add it back to your soup pot again and cook for at least 5 minutes more. 

I will test the soup at least a few times during the cooking process to see if it needs more seasoning, sugar, etc.  

I also made some rice separately so I could add a bit of it to anyone who wanted rice in their soup (like me)!

I love this because it still has texture, since the entire soup wasn't blended, there's still some tomato and onion bits!

Perfect anytime of the year!  I often make a big pot of soup so we can have it for lunch during the week!

Enjoy!!

Jen

No comments: