Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! Here is where you'll finding me rambling about a variety of subjects, including my family, vintage, thrifting, Etsy shops I love, and more!





Thursday, November 3, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup Good for What Ail's You!

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup


Sick with a cold?  Even scientists say there's something to the Chicken Noodle Soup remedy!  I make this as soon as I have a cold (no one else in my family eats chicken)! 

It's quick and easy!

Buy a package of cut up chicken with bone (a less expensive way it to get a whole chicken and cut it up yourself).  Boil it in water to cover with 1-2 chicken bouillon cubes, cut up celery, onion, and carrots (enough for taste, since you'll be removing it).  I always add some red pepper flakes, since I like it hot!  Also salt to taste and a bit of pepper.

Turn it down to a high simmer, maybe 20 minutes or so. You can take a piece out to be sure there's no pink left on the chicken.

Strain everything, be sure to keep the broth (yes, I've made the mistake of not having a bowl underneath when I was straining!).

Let the chicken cool a bit, so it's not too hot to handle.  Then you can cut it up or shred it, into bite size pieces.

Put the chicken back in the broth, add fresh cut up carrots, celery, and onion.  I also add some sage and Italian seasoning, it's whatever you like!

Let that cook for awhile, until the veggies are tender, but still have a bit of crispness to them.

Then add egg noodles, don't over do it like I do, or the next day the broth will be sucked right out of it!  For me, that's not a problem, I just add a bit more water, and microwave it.  Another good idea is to just cook the egg noodles separately, and then you won't have that problem!

So the next time someones coming down with a cold, whip this soup up!  It works and it tastes great!

Here's to your health!

Jen

No comments: