Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! Here is where you'll finding me rambling about a variety of subjects, including my family, vintage, thrifting, Etsy shops I love, and more!





Sunday, May 9, 2010

Bitter Sweet Mother's Day


I enjoyed my day as I hope all of you mom's out there did as well!

I spent the afternoon in a little dressing room at Dillard's with my darling 17 year old daughter, Katherine, as she tried on probably about 30 dresses! It was down to three and we both decided the purple-ish one was the winner! She looks beautiful in the strapless classic-almost-vintage-like dresses! I will be sure to show off pictures of her next week on the big day.

As it always is with Katherine, we end up with several dresses so she has options. We ordered one online that will hopefully be here within the next few days. She also picked out a gorgeous one that her friend wore, and I have that at the dry cleaners right now.

She does have two proms she's going to, so we will need two!

I will also, hopefully in the next few days, go with my oh-so-charming son Mark, to pick out a tuxedo as he is also going to the prom too!

But why did I decide to do another Mother's Day blog? Well, first to say how much I treasure these times I have with my kids, as I know soon they will be off on their own!

The main reason I wanted to do this extra Mother's Day blog was to let you know how much I cherish my own Mom and the time I had with her.

Mona (my Mom) was an absolutely amazing woman and mother! She worked hard as a teenager to keep her family together (7 children and she was the oldest). Her parents had some problems, so she basically was the one that took care of her sisters and brothers.

When she married and had children she taught herself how to be a great Mom (although she had the instincts already). She raised 5 children and the compassion she had for each one of us is truly unbelievable!

She was not only my Mom, but when I moved back here from Denver in 1989, after my divorce, I found a best friend! I truly could not have gone through all of what I did without her.

I went on to get remarried (yay-found a great guy!) and have 2 more children and she was there, everyday, to help me and boy did we have fun! We had great laughs and I will forever treasure those times.

In August of 1994 she came down with what the doctor called "a virus", but within 2 weeks she had passed away.

My life really has never been the same. Of course I am still the positive person I will always be. But my heart has an empty spot.

My Mom is truly one of the most admirable people I have ever met and I want to say Happy Mother's Day to her and to all that give so much like she did.

You are also cherished.

Jen