Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! Here is where you'll finding me rambling about a variety of subjects, including my family, vintage, thrifting, Etsy shops I love, and more!





Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Marketing

As promised, another chapter review from Jason Malinak's book "Etsypreneurship"!


Smith Milk Glass Hobnail Bowl
 Since I love marketing (not like grocery shopping marketing), I thought I'd talk about Chapter 8 today!

The chapter starts with these 2 important sentences:

"Marketing is one of the core operational tasks that every Etsy seller performs.  Etsy sellers who don't perform this task typically go out of business fairly quickly from lack of sales."

So true!  For example, there are a ton of awesome vintage shops on Etsy, so I have to "kick-butt" to get noticed!

Jason discusses the 4 parts of the marketing framework; which are branding, connecting, advertising, and promotions.

Branding is all about you.  Your shop name, images, listing descriptions, etc, all make up how you/your shop are perceived.

Connecting is a way to build trust, relationships, and sales.  Even though I work from home, I am connecting with people all day and night.  Whether it's when I'm out shopping for items for my shop, chatting on twitter, or convo's with my customers, it's all important!

Advertising is so important!  You can list all you want, but if you're not doing some sort of advertising, it just ain't gonna work!  Advertising can be as simple as having a facebook fanpage and blogging!  One of my goals this year is to check into other forms of advertising.

Last but not least, promoting!  Jason says "A promotion is where you look to your existing connections to try to get them to take action."  Promotions can be deals such as coupons, buy-one-get-one-free discounts, etc.

So there you have it!  Another information chapter from Jason's book "Etsypreneurship".  I love this book!  Check it out on Amazon.com!

Happy Sales!

Jen          

No comments: