Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! Here is where you'll finding me rambling about a variety of subjects, including my family, vintage, thrifting, Etsy shops I love, and more!





Monday, September 6, 2010

Dakos (Greek Bread Salad)

Here's what was for lunch today!  Dakos Greek Salad, so yummy and fresh!  This is my husband, Bob's recipe (well, he got it somewhere, he didn't make it up).  I was his sous chef for this meal.  We pretend we're doing a cooking show, and I think this one went well.  If you love the food channel like we do you probably know all of the chefs.  Giada is always having friends over to share in her delicious meals, and I tried to pretend Bob was my friend for our pretend show, but he didn't say anything, so it was a really boring show.  Giada's friends talk.


1 loaf country bread, sliced into 1/2" thick slices
1 C greek olive oil (I used regular olive oil)
Salt & freshly ground pepper
1/4 C fresh lemon juice
1 T chopped fresh dill (I love the smell of dill!)
2 english cucumbers, quartered & cut into 1/2" dice (I used regular cucumber and scraped out some of the seeds)
2 ripe beefstake tomatoes, cut into 1/2" dice
1 red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
12 oz feta cheese, crumbled (oh how I love feta cheese!)
I also added about 3/4 can of black olives, cut in half (original recipe didn't call for these, but I like the extra flavor and color)

Preheat the grill.  Brush the bread with oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper.  Grill bread on both sides until lightly golden brown. Remove the bread to a platter & let sit at room temperature to get slightly hard.

Meanwhile, whisk together 1 cup olive oil (I def used less), lemon juice, and dill in a medium bowl.  Season to taste, with salt & pepper (I didn't add any extra of this since there was enough salt going on with all the other ingredients).  Fold the cucumber, tomatoes, onion, and feta into the oil mixture and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes (I couldn't wait that long, I was hungry).  The recipe calls for you to spoon the bread into the mixture, but, if you know you'll have leftovers of this, you won't want to do that, since the bread will get soggy.  We just added the bread we wanted to our individual salads.  Garnish with additionaly dill and drizzle with chili oil, if desired (we didn't not add chili oil, but I bet it would be good!).  Serve immediately (geez, they make it sound like an emergency).

Enjoy! (Like how I threw in a pic of my Pyrex!?)

Jen

No comments: